Sunday 25 May 2014

The Proposal

There's some things that you don't expect in life and for me, marriage was one of them. When you're with someone who you know you're going to grow old with then there's an expectation that marriage will happen. For us, that expectation belonged to other people. It can get a bit wearying having people ask again and again when we'd be getting married, not believing that Ray was quite adamant that he wanted no part of it and that he was happy as we were.

I can't lie, I'd have liked marriage but it wasn't essential to my happiness and security in our relationship. And so, there we were. Living in sin as the Daily Mail would have it.

Until The Proposal.

If ever anything was more unexpected, I've yet to hear of it. The only details I need to share are that it perfectly captured us as a couple and yes, I cried. After I'd laughed it off as some kind of joke of course.

But it wasn't a joke and so now I find myself planning The Unexpected Wedding. There'll be spreadsheets and dresses and panic and stresses but a lot of love and a lot of excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment